|Page (1) of 1 - 02/25/14||email article||print page|
North Richland Hills Family Sue Atmos Energy after Gas Explosion Allegedly Causes Severe Injuries to 7 year old girl, Destroys Home(February 25, 2014)
Fort Worth, TX (PRWEB) February 25, 2014
According to court documents Maya Javier, age 7, was visiting the home of her uncle and aunt, Marvin Reinoshek, Jr. and Nancy Reinoshek, and her three cousins on December 21, 2013. The kids were playing video games, enjoying the day. Maya then went to the bathroom. When she switched on the light in their guest bathroom, it triggered an explosion which was so forceful that it lifted the entire roof of the house, tore out walls inside the home and shattered the windows. A fire then ensued.
The lawsuit alleges that Maya suffered catastrophic injuries in the explosion including burns over approximately 40 percent of her body, including her face, both arms and her back. She was immediately transported by air to Parkland Hospitals Burn Unit, where she has received tremendous care. She has had one skin graft to date and is still under doctors care.
Marvin and Nancy were also injured in the explosion, as were their three children who were home at the time of the explosion. The Reinoshek home and most of its contents were destroyed in the blast and subsequent fire according to court documents.
An investigation by independent experts has determined that the explosion was caused by combustible natural gas which leaked from a gas pipeline nearby, and migrated into the Reinoshek home until it was ignited by the bathroom light switch being turned on. The allegedly defective underground polyethylene pipe that allowed the gas to escape is owned, operated and maintained by Atmos Energy Corporation. Additionally, the State agency which investigated the explosion, the Texas Railroad Commission, has issued a preliminary report faulting the failed fusion of the Atmos gas line as being the cause of the explosion.
The lawsuit (DC-14-01879) filed today in Dallas County District Court cites alleged negligence by Atmos Energy on several counts including failing to properly install and inspect the pipeline to detect and discover leaks before the explosion occurred.
The transportation of natural gas by pipeline has long been recognized as a hazardous activity that requires a high degree of care from the operator of the natural gas distribution system. Such operators are under a duty to use the necessary care and prudence to prevent injury. Under Texas law, these are non-delegable duties. The lawsuit against Atmos Energy claims that Atmos Energy was negligent in their duties and that their defective pipeline failed to comply with the relevant rules, regulations or industry standards including regulations imposed by the U.S. federal government and the Railroad Commission of Texas.
Board Certified Personal Injury Attorney Mark Anderson, of the Anderson Law Firm, who is representing both the Reinoshek and Javier families in the case, said This is such a tragedy. Maya did not do anything wrong here. All she did was turn on the light and now, due to Atmos failure to properly maintain its own pipe, her life is forever changed. Her recovery has been incredibly painful and she will have visible scarring that will be with her the rest of her life. This type of leak should not happen. All of us in North Texas place our trust in Atmos that it will properly install and maintain its lines. Atmos has failed that trust and it has forever changed the life of young Maya.
DC-14-01879, Dallas County District Court
About the Anderson Law Firm:
Located in Fort Worth, TX but serving clients throughout Texas, the attorneys at the Anderson Law Firm handle a wide variety of personal injury cases, such as 18 wheeler wrecks, gas explosions, car accidents, work injuries and wrongful death.
To read more about the Anderson Law Firm or to request a free, private consultation, please call us at 817-294-1900 or visit the firms website at http://www.fulljustice.com
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/02/prweb11616695.htm.