|Page (1) of 1 - 05/14/14||email article||print page|
New Survey Shows Tweens May Be at Risk of Summer Learning LossSylvan Offers Summer Reading List & Tips to Help Combat Summer Learning Loss (May 14, 2014)
BALTIMORE, MD--(Marketwired - May 14, 2014) - Are kids really at risk of summer learning loss?A new survey
Summer reading is one way parents can combat summer learning loss.Research has shown that kids should read at least five books over the summer, yet 46 percent of tweens are reading four or fewer books according to their parents.
"Everyone agrees that kids deserve a break after working hard all school year," said Julia Fitzgerald, Chief Marketing Officer at Sylvan Learning. "However, summer learning loss can set our children back several months, making for a rocky transition back into the classroom come fall. We want to provide parents with fun ways they can insert learning into their child's everyday life to help fight the summer slide."
Sylvan Learning offers the following advice to help parents get their kids excited about reading this summer.
- Let Kids Choose:Instead of requiring kids toread the classics over the summer, let them choose a book they areinterested in reading.According to parents surveyed, 65 percent saidthat letting the child choose the book helps get him or her interested inreading it.
- Rewards Can Work:So many of today's populartween books are also movies, and a trip to the movies can be a great rewardfor finishing a book. Forty percent of parents said watching the movieafter the book helps get their kids excited about reading.
- Find out what their friends are reading:Forty-six percent of parentssaid their child gets interested in reading a book because their friendsare reading it.Accordingto parents, the most popular genres among tweens are:
- Humor (e.g. Diary of a Wimpy Kid)
- Fantasy (e.g. Harry Potter series, PercyJackson series)
- Action Adventure (e.g. Holes, Hatchet)
- Science Fiction (e.g. A Wrinkle in Time, 1984)
- Books Made Into Movies (e.g. Divergent series,The Giver)
To help give parents a list of books they can suggest to their kids this summer, Sylvan Learning has compiled a summer reading list for kids in grades four through eight, based on the most popular books on its Book Adventure website. Parents can access the complete list of recommended titles on MomMinded.com.
For more information on Sylvan Learning or to find a center, visit SylvanLearning.com.
About Sylvan Learning, Inc.
With more than 30 years of experience and more than 800 locations throughout North America, Sylvan Learning is the leading provider of personal learning for students in grades K-12. As the leader in supplemental education, Sylvan is transforming how students learn, inspiring them to succeed in school and in life.Sylvan's proven tutoring approach blends amazing teachers with SylvanSync technology on the iPad for an engaging learning experience. Sylvan programs include study skills, math, reading, writing and test prep for college entrance and state exams. Sylvan also provides educational services to public and nonpublic schools. The company was founded in 1979 and is headquartered in Baltimore, Maryland. For more information, call 1-800-31-SUCCESS, or visit SylvanLearning.com or Sylvan's Mom Minded blog at SylvanLearning.com/blog.
SylvanSync is a trademark of Sylvan Learning
iPad is a registered trademark of Apple Inc.
Copyright @ Marketwire
Related Keywords:Computers/Peripherals, Notebook/Laptop, Tablets, Children, Parents, Computers/Home Office, Communications, Gaming, Movies & Music, Digital Toys, Web, Tablets, Handheld, tablet, Movies by Genre, Games, Tablet, Children, Educational, Video, Blogs/videoblogs, Mac, Marketwire, Television, Games, Game Technology, Children, Parents, Teachers,