|Page (1) of 1 - 04/20/17||email article||print page|
Nearly 50 Boys & Girls Clubs Nationwide To Benefit From 16th Annual Comcast Cares Day
ATLANTA, April 20, 2017 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- On Saturday, April 22, nearly 50 Boys & Girls Clubs around the country will benefit from hours of painting, landscaping, cleaning, mentoring and other transformational efforts provided by thousands of Comcast NBCUniversal volunteers during the company's 16th Comcast Cares Day. The annual day of service includes the company's employees, their families, friends, and local community leaders gathering as part of its year-round commitment to service and the community.
Projects taking place this Saturday include:
- Philadelphia, Pa. (Shane Victorino Nicetown Boys & Girls Club) Approximately 200 volunteers will clean, paint and make minor repairs inside the Club, as well as remove litter and clean up the property surrounding the Club. Working with Rebuilding Together Philadelphia, with funding from Scripps Networks Interactive for the fourth consecutive year, volunteers will renovate a multipurpose room to create a space for the Club's middle school robotics program, an arts and crafts area, and a meeting space for the many programs that Club kids are involved with there.
- Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas (Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Dallas) Approximately 75 volunteers will help manage and oversee Math Blazers, a STEM competition where 300 Boys & Girls Club members compete for prizes. The competition is designed to challenge youth in a fun but competitive environment that promotes teamwork, a sense of self-awareness and increases their math and mental proficiencies.
- Brighton, Colo. (Robert M. Shopneck Boys & Girls Club) Approximately 150 volunteers will help with a variety of indoor and outdoor clean-up and repair projects, including clearing the vegetable gardens to prepare them for spring planting, repairing fencing and outdoor fixtures, cleaning and organizing the games room, library area, art room, and computer labs, organizing and installing storage areas and more.
- Grand Rapids Mich. (Boys & Girls Clubs of Grand Rapids Youth Commonwealth) Approximately 150 volunteers will participate in indoor and outdoor cleanups. Volunteers will also package and distribute food to the local community in partnership with Feeding America West Michigan.
- Turnwater, Wash. (Boys & Girls Club of Thurston County) Approximately 100 volunteers will help beautify the grounds of the club by clearing brush, pulling weeds, removing bushes, and planting flowers. Additionally, volunteers will paint outdoor basketball courts and install fencing and gates.
"For more than 15 years, Comcast NBCUniversal's partnership has made an incredible impact on our Clubs and the communities they serve," said Jim Clark, president and CEO of Boys & Girls Clubs of America. "Comcast Cares Day helps address critical improvement projects that ensure our kids and teens have engaging places after-school and during the summer where they can develop skills, make lasting connections with caring mentors and achieve great futures."
Since the launch of Comcast Cares Day in 2001, volunteers have contributed nearly 5 million volunteer hours at 7,700 projects and the Comcast Foundation has contributed more than $20 million to local non-profit organizations. This year, more than 100,000 employees, their family and friends will work alongside local community partners at approximately 1,000 projects sites across the U.S. and around the globe.
Comcast has supported local Boys & Girls Clubs for more than 15 years, providing more than $125 million in cash and in-kind contributions. Additionally, Comcast NBCUniversal is the Presenting Sponsor of Boys & Girls Clubs of America's My.Future program, a cutting-edge technology curriculum that helps youth embrace technology in the growing digital world and ensures they excel in it. My.Future is designed to open the eyes of children to what's possible for them to achieve through technology from recording and editing their own music and videos, to learning robotics, coding and game design skills that can put them on the path to successful 21st century careers.
About Boys & Girls Clubs of America
For more than 150 years, Boys & Girls Clubs of America (GreatFutures.org) has enabled young people most in need to achieve great futures as productive, caring, responsible citizens. Today, more than 4,300 Clubs serve nearly 4 million young people annually through Club membership and community outreach. Clubs are located in cities, towns, public housing and on Native lands throughout the country, and serve military families in BGCA-affiliated Youth Centers on U.S. military installations worldwide. They provide a safe place, caring adult mentors, fun, friendship, and high-impact youth development programs on a daily basis during critical non-school hours. Priority programs emphasize academic success, good character and citizenship, and healthy lifestyles. In a Harris Survey of alumni, 54 percent said the Club saved their lives. National headquarters are located in Atlanta. Learn more at http://www.bgca.org/facebook and http://bgca.org/twitter.
About the Comcast Foundation
The Comcast Foundation was founded by Comcast Corporation in June 1999 to provide charitable support to qualified non-profit organizations. The Foundation primarily invests in programs intended to have a positive, sustainable impact on their communities. The Foundation has three community investment priorities?promoting service, expanding digital literacy, and building tomorrow's leaders. Since its inception, the Comcast Foundation has donated nearly $200 million to organizations in the communities nationwide that Comcast serves. More information about the Foundation and its programs is available at www.comcast.com/community.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is one of the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone providers to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses. NBCUniversal operates news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/nearly-50-boys--girls-clubs-nationwide-to-benefit-from-16th-annual-comcast-cares-day-300442899.html
SOURCE Boys & Girls Clubs of America
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved
Related Keywords:Internet/Web, Internet, Video, USA, Sports, Television, Music, Internet Technology, Entertainment, Internet, Sports, Basketball, Military, Family, Teens, Children, Other,