|Page (1) of 1 - 09/03/14||email article||print page|
High School Seniors: Apply Now to Become a Part of Heisman History
DUBLIN, Ohio, Sept. 3, 2014 /PRNewswire/ --A new school year means another chance for high school seniors to apply for the Wendy's High School Heisman Award. High school Class of 2015 seniors have until October 3, 2014, to complete the online application for the Award, which honors outstanding high school scholar-athletes for their commitment to academic achievement, community service involvement and athletic prowess. To apply, students can go tohttp://www.WendysHeisman.com.
Wendy's High School Heismanis not just an award but an opportunity to join an ever-growing family of distinguished past winners who set the new standards for excellence in their communities, such as:
- Anthony White A national winner in 1998, White transitioned from high school and collegiate football player to coach after earning his master's degree in multi-cultural education at the University of Utah. He was named 2010 Orange County Coach of the Year in his first year as head coach for the Buena Park High School (BPHS) football program and continues to coach for the program he helped turn around. Additionally, White teaches Social Science and is also head coach of the varsity track program.
- Meghan O'Leary After winning the award in 2002, Meghan graduated from the University of Virginia and currently trains and competes with the United States Women's National Rowing Team. She's hoping to compete in the 2016 Olympic Games.
- Sam Finlayson A current MD-PhD student at Harvard University and MIT, Sam also co-founded "Team Hydro" to raise funds and awareness for Hydrocephalus research in honor of his sister and raised more than $400,000 for the condition after winning the award in 2006.
A partner award with the Heisman Memorial Trust and college football's acclaimed Heisman Memorial Trophy, the Heisman cachet impacts students at every phase of the Wendy's High School Heisman program. In addition to recognition at school and state levels, six female and six male National Finalists receive an all-expense paid trip to New York City to attend the Wendy's High School Heisman Award Ceremony and college Heisman Memorial Trophy Award weekend festivities in December. One male and one female Wendy's High School Heisman Award Winners will receive a $500 Wendy's Gift Card and $10,000 for their high school.
Nearly 50,000 scholar-athletes from across the country apply for the Wendy's High School Heisman Award each year. These applicants are then narrowed down in four phases, starting in the end of October and running through December:
- School Winners Phase One senior male and one senior female from every school will be selected as a "School Winner" and receive a school winner certificate and Heisman patch.
- State Finalists Phase 10 senior males and 10 senior femalesfrom every state and the District of Columbia will advance to "State Finalists" and receive a bronze medal, a Heisman Patch and $25 Wendy's Gift Card.
- State Winners Phase One senior male and one senior female from each state and the District of Columbia will be selected as "State Winners" and receive a silver medal, a Heisman patch and a $50 Wendy's Gift Card.
- National Finalist Phase A judging panel will select "12 National Finalists" from the 102 State Winners. These finalists will receive a gold medal, a Heisman patch, an invitation to the Wendy's High School Heisman program and ceremony in New York City, a $2,000 award for their High School and a $100 Wendy's Gift Card.
The first 25,000 students with completed applications will receive a Wendy's Gift Card valued at $10.
Wendy's High School Heisman Winners are Game Changers
Created by Wendy's founder Dave Thomas in 1994, the Wendy's High School Heisman Award has honored more than 400,000 of the nation's most esteemed high school seniors who have been a part of the program for the past 21 years. Since its inception, Wendy's High School Heisman Award has awarded 230 National Finalists and 40 National Winners.
The Wendy's High School Heisman Award is a joint program between Wendy's and the Heisman Memorial Trust, host of the College Heisman Memorial Trophy. Andrew Miner of East Greenwich, RI, who attends Harvard University and Emily Granger of Easton, MD, who is continuing her lacrosse career at Yale University, received the prestigious award last year.
For a complete list of past WHSH finalists and winners or more information about the program, students can visitwww.WendysHeisman.com, call (800) 205-6367 or contact their local high school principal, guidance counselor or athletic director. Participants can also "Like" and follow Wendy's Heisman on Facebook and Twitter athttp://www.facebook.com/WendysHighSchoolHeisman and http://www.twitter.com/WendysHeisman for additional program details.
About The Wendy's Company
The Wendy's Company is the world's third-largest quick-service hamburger company. The Wendy's system includes more than 6,500 franchise and Company-operated restaurants in the United States and 29 countries and U.S. territories worldwide. For more information, visit www.aboutwendys.com or www.wendys.com.
The Wendy's name and design, and the Wendy's High School Heisman and design are trademarks of Oldemark LLC and are licensed to Wendy's International, LLC. The Heisman Memorial Trophy, Heisman name and Heisman Trophy figure are registered trademarks of the Heisman Trophy Trust, used with permission.
SOURCE The Wendy's Company
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved
Related Keywords:USA, Sports, Science, Olympics, Outdoor Sports, Family,