|Page (1) of 1 - 11/20/12||email article||print page|
Groucho Marx is North Americas Favorite Facial Hair Icon, Discovers findmypast.com(November 20, 2012)
Los Angeles, CA (PRWEB) November 20, 2012
Because the search for family history often yields bewhiskered ancestors, findmypast.com, an international leader in online family history, conducted a survey to determine North Americas hairy preferences and favorite facial hair icon.
The online survey found that fake facial hair is preferred, as the top three facial hair icons are known to have imitation facial hair:
1. Comedian Groucho Marx, known for his fake mustache
2. The Lorax, the beloved mustachioed hero from the classic Dr. Seuss book
3. Seneca Crane, gamekeeper from the recent Hunger Games movie, played by Wes Bently and whose real beard took two hours to create every day
Rounding out the top ten facial hair icons are:
4. Filmmaker and actor John Waters, known for his pencil-thin mustache
5. Ambrose Burnside, a Union Army general in the American Civil War whose facial hair style coined the word sideburns
6. Artist Salvador Dali whose mustache is as surreal as his art
7. Funnyman Zach Galifianakis
8. Fictional anchorman Tom Tucker from Family Guy
9. Brian Fear the Beard Wilson, closing pitcher for San Francisco Giants
10. Clark Gable, the famed American actor
The survey also examined facial hair preferences. Overwhelmingly respondents most enjoy the mustache, which took 72.8 percent of the vote, followed by the beard (14.6%), sideburns (6.8%) and a dashing combination of them all (5.8%). More than 70 percent of respondents also asserted that facial hair is as respected today as throughout history.
Facial hair has moved in and out of fashion over the years and the historical record is full of shaggy characters, said D. Joshua Taylor, findmypast.coms lead genealogist. When doing our own family history research, taking a break from our pedigrees to discover details about everything from profession to facial hair brings color to our family trees and brings us closer to our ancestors.
Findmypast.coms expertise at digitizing historical records and uniting communities provides the tools to help people connect with their past, present and future.
To learn more about findmypast.com or to get started on your own family history search:
- Like findmypast on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/findmypastus
- Follow findmypast on Twitter at https://twitter.com/findmypastus
- Follow findmypast on Pinterest at http://pinterest.com/findmypastus/
Findmypast.com (owned by brightsolid) is the U.S. site of findmypast, an international leader in online family history with over 18 million registered members worldwide. Findmypast connects people to core and unique U.S., English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, Australian and New Zealand records dating back as far as 1200.
Findmypast.com is owned by brightsolid online publishing, a British-owned world leader in online genealogy, with over 45 years experience in family history and a record of online innovation in the field of family history nearly two decades long. With nearly 18 million registered users across its family of online genealogy brands, brightsolid hosts over a billion genealogical records from across the globe. The company reported a 75 percent growth in turnover and a 47 percent growth in gross profits in its most recent published accounts and was voted Best Genealogy Organization in the Online Gene Awards.
The facial hair icon survey was conducted by findmpast.com among 681 findmypast.com users aged 18-65 from the United States and Canada, between Nov. 7 and Nov. 14, using an online survey.
# # #
Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2012/11/prweb10150646.htm.
Related Keywords:family, family planning, lifestyle and leisure, lifestyle (house and home), computing and information technology, satellite technology, wireless technology, science and technology, technology (general), identification technology, agricultural research and technology, plastic art, entertainment award, entertainment (general), arts (general), arts, culture and entertainment